My sons girlfriend wants to leave the state of Fl with his newborn child. Can we stop her?

Orlando, FL |

My son and his girlfriend live together they have for two years. The just had a baby a month ago in the Florida orange county. She is trying to leave him and move in with friend in New Jersey. What can we do to stop her from taking off with the baby?

1. You need to hire an attorney to file papers with the court to establish your son's parental rights and also obtain an order preventing her from leaving the State with the child.

Detailed answers to many frequently asked questions regarding divorce, custody, visitation, child support, alimony, paternity and other Family Law matters are located on my website at http://www.mitchell-pa.com/FAQ_Main.html Be sure to stop by and check it out! And of course, if you have a question that is not addressed, please feel free to email me directly.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, my office offers free initial telephone consultations. During the consultation, we can discuss the particulars of your situation in depth, as well as explore your potential rights and options. If you would like to coordinate a free initial telephone consultation, please contact my office at 407-971-6140 or 352-324-2444 to schedule same.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements.

Joanna Mitchell
    Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    614 E. Hwy 50, Suite 327
    Clermont, FL 34711-3164
    PH: (352) 324-2444
    FX: (352) 324-2229
    Email: jmitchell@mitchell-pa.com
    Web: www.mitchell-pa.com

2. He needs to file a Motion to Establish Paternity and for Other Relief as soon as possible. He should contact a family law attorney to discuss his options.

3. I would recommend he contact an attorney that specializes in family law right away. A Petition to Establish Paternity, Time-Sharing and a Parenting Plan needs to filed ASAP in order to attempt to prevent her from absconding out of state with the child. Please feel free to contact my office at 407-377-6828 for a free consultation either in person or over the phone at your earliest convenience.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

4. Your son needs to file a Paternity Action immediately and have the mother served. If the mother intends on moving within days or weeks it may be necessary to file an emergency motion to enjoin her from leaving the state. I recommend that you contact a family attorney immediately to assist your son with this matter. I handle these types of issues frequently and if you would like to discuss your case or set a time for a free consultation please contact me.

Michael Ferrin, Esq.
    Anderson & Ferrin Attorneys at Law P.A.
    1214 E. Livingston St
    Orlando, FL 32803
    Phone (407)-412-7041
    Fax (407)-802-2283

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements

Child custody topics