My sons father took him on Christmas and has not returned him. He has a temporary custody paper he says I need to sign?

Asked 8 months ago - Syracuse, NY

He claims I need to sign this until our case is over but my worker has not informed me of anything. There is a court date set up and I am my sons custodial parent. I have taken sole care of him for 7months without child support from him. I live with my parents who help me because I have a disorder

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Louis Lawrence Sternberg


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Don't sign anything. If you have a lawyer, inform your lawyer of this situation. If you don't have a lawyer, get one ASAP.

    The above answer is intended for informational purposes and is not legal advice. It does not constitute the... more
  2. David Zaslavsky

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Do not sign anything and get to a lawyer as soon as possible.

    I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and... more
  3. Maria C. Tebano

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Don't sign anything. If you have an order of custody, then move to violate him under the custody order for failing to return the child.

  4. Christopher J. Battaglia

    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . Do not sign any papers. If you have a custody order and the other parent is refusing to return the child, then the other is likely in violation of the order. If you have had de facto custody and not a court order, then nonetheless you must bring the refusal to return the child immediately to the attention of the court. You may have to file a writ. You should speak with legal counsel immediately. Remember, the child's best interests test remains the standard for determining which parent should be awarded custody.

    The foregoing information should not be construed or relied upon as personal legal advice or creating any attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,584 answers this week

3,368 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,584 answers this week

3,368 attorneys answering