My son won his 1st appeal. It's a murder charge in tacoma, Wa. we are broke! are there any probono Att in tacoma?

Tacoma, WA |

He was in Walla walla st prison. facing 28years. He won his appeal due to procecution misconduct. He has to be retried, he is in pc jail now. He lost the original case because of the actions of the judge, procecution and his court appointed attorney. Can anyone help us? We have no money, at all and cannot borrow it. This is a very high profile case and with a good Attorney, should be a win! for my son.

Any time a person is facing incarceration they are entitled to an attorney at public expense. If he is going to be re-tried, he is facing incarceration. Contact Department of Assigned Counsel. DAC attorneys are well qualified and do this work because they are very good at it. Chances are he will qualify for a public defender. Your income and assets are not at issue. Elizabeth Powell

Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.

DAC is how he lost his first trial! that isn't much help.

You would not want an attorney to handle a murder trial pro bono. Especially not one that has already been tried. If you and your son do not have money to hire an attorney, he will need to get a public defender assigned. A pro bono attorney (even a good one) would not be a good idea in this situation. Trying a murder case is a lengthy, time-consuming, and expensive undertaking. Putting this on a volunteer attorney's shoulders would almost certainly lead to a bad result. Public defender offices have the funding to support taking on a case of this seriousness.

So, you don't think anyone out there that is experienced would take on his case, even if it meant furthering their career and the publicity of winning a large case?

Adrian Martinez Madrone

Adrian Martinez Madrone

I really don't know. There are thousands of attorneys out there. There might be someone who would do this, but I have no idea where you would start looking. As you can see, you've posted this question in a well-known forum for attorneys, and you have not had anyone jump at the opportunity yet. Again, a volunteer attorney would be looking at hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of unpaid legal work. That's a huge thing to take on. Good luck to you and your son.

Thank you

While a PD or DCA attorney may be the best choice I disagree that an attorney who agrees to take it on for free is necessarily a bad choice. Remember the Casey Anthony trial in FL? She was represented by a pro bono attorney who had never tried a murder case before. Everyone made fun oh him until the verdict which was "not guilty."

Adrian Martinez Madrone

Adrian Martinez Madrone

Fair point. I would still suggest to this person that it is risky to trust a possible murder conviction to a volunteer.

John M. Kaman

John M. Kaman

Depends on the volunteer. Clarence Darrow did many of his cases for free.

Adrian Martinez Madrone

Adrian Martinez Madrone

Also a fair point. I guess then it would depend on the client's ability to judge the volunteer attorney's skill, competence, and dedication to the case. If the client is able to find a pro bono attorney and feel assured that the attorney is competent and dedicated to the case, it might be a fine option.

I would recommend talking to the bank about a personal loan. This is the time to call in favors from friends and family for support. If it all adds up to you not being able to hire an attorney I would recommend getting a public defender. Pro bono attorneys are not necessarily bad its just that the motivation for an attorney to take on a case like this for free is exposure. It's for the press. What you want is an attorney who is focused on your son, his case, and his well being. Pro bono work is usually work attorney's do for thier own friends and family or as a publicity stunt. Attorneys would charge thier own friends and family to take on a murder trial because it is such a huge time investment.

I would welcome a publicity stunt, if it meant my son would win. Rather than another over loaded DAC who doesn't really care or feel motivated due to the fact, they will be paid either way!