My son who is 19, was charged with contributing to a minor because he had under age friends out with him past curfew.

Asked about 4 years ago - Iowa

if an adult is out with under age kids past curfew can the police charge them with contributing to a minor if there was not any alcohol or other charges given to him

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Edward Jerome Blum

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I don't practice in Iowa. Generally, yes. If there is a curfew, your 19 yo contributed to their staying out past it and breaking the law, then he can be charged.

    Edward J. Blum

  2. Scott Andrew Wineberg

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Like Mr. Blum, I do not practice in IA, but I'm not sure I can agree with him. "Curfew," at least in IL (where I practice) is not an act of delinquency but is only a status offense. Thus, in my jurisdiction I don't see how one could be convicted of contributing to delinquency when the offense itself could not result in delinquency proceedings. That being said, the prosecutors can charge just about whatever they want; what they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt is a whole different story. I suggest you tap your yellow pages or search engine to ask your question specifically to an attorney in the county where your son is being prosecuted. Many lawyers will grant a free initial consultation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,016 answers this week

2,948 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,016 answers this week

2,948 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary