My son who is 18 was asked by a adult who rented a car, to do them a favor and drive the rental car to pick up someone for them

He was in crash while picking up that person.The rental car place is trying to get money from my son, for what the insurance company wont pay. The adult who rented the car, said they are not paying. Does the rental car place have the right to sue my son? The rental car place has just sent my son a letter, saying they have now sent this matter to a collection agency. what can he do, and what are his rights. Please help. Thank you!

Chapel Hill, NC -

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Seattle, WA

This is a situation that should be reviewed by an attorney. Most attorneys provide for a free consultation.

Sponsored Listing
Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Yes, they can (and likely will). Report this to any insurance companies you have policies with and contact local counsel.

Philip Anthony Fabiano

Philip Anthony Fabiano

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Pittsburgh, PA

You do not provide enough facts to evaluate. However if your son is driving a car and he drives carelessly and damages it, why would you think he is not responsible for his negligence.
You need to turn this over to your insurance.

R. Alfred Patrick

R. Alfred Patrick

Personal Injury Lawyer - Greenville, NC

Who was at fault in causing the crash?

If your son was at fault, the rental company can pursue the claim against him. I would also suggest the "adult" is responsible as well and even if the adult says they're not paying, they may still be liable - the rental company doesn't care who pays however, it seems much more likely the adult could pay rather than your son.

If another party caused the crash, they would be responsible for damage to the rental vehicle.

As I said, the rental agency doesn't care who pays, just so long as it is paid - it will probably bring a claim against everybody and then see who will pay voluntarily, before filing a lawsuit.

Just because the rental agency says it has a claim and sends a collection letter doesn't necessarily mean your son is responsible - if he's at fault in causing the damage, he'll be responsible for it and in all likelihood, so will the adult who asked him to run the errand on his behalf.

Regardless, the crash and the claim need to be reported to your motor vehicle insurance company.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Your son can report it to his insurance company, or if no insurance, get on a payment plan.