Skip to main content

My son was shot by the 9 times by the police. Can he sue for civil rights violations?

Orlando, FL |

my son was unarmed and the police shot him disabling him for life

Attorney Answers 4


Yes. I handle these cases across Florida. The issue is whether the police officer's use-of-force was justified according to the Supreme Court decision in Tennessee v. Gardner. The means that one must examine all the case's facts and the officer's actions based upon the totality of circumstances.

Your son's case would be a violation of his civil rights under USC Title 42 Section 1983.

Please have your son contact one of us today. Unfortunately, we cannot contact him.

I only practice in the areas of personal injury, federal civil rights, and criminal law. I will not respond to inquiries about legal representation in other areas of law, so please do not call me about matters outside my areas of practice. Furthermore, my answers on Avvo do not create an attorney-client relationship. Avvo is not designed for the type of legal analysis I personally require to accept a case. You should always seek a consultation with a licensed attorney who practices in the specific area of law who can fully review the facts of your case.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


Too many unknown variables exist to properly answer this question. But I think you should definitely find a civil rights lawyer and have a conversation with him/her. That dialogue will help establish whether this case should be filed.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You should discuss the possibility with an attorney, but there are far too many facts missing to give an informed opinion here.

Mark as helpful


Complex issue, and it will turn on whether the police's use of force was reasonable under the circumstances. You should consult with a civil rights or personal injury attorney.

My response to this question does not mean I agree to represent you in any proceedings. This information is also not subject to attorney-client privilege.

Mark as helpful

Police misconduct topics

Recommended articles about Police misconduct

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics