My son was riding with his girlfriend and smoking weed in her car. They were pulled over because of a broken tail light but were

Asked 9 months ago - Mckinney, TX

"hotboxing" in the car. He had 8 small baggies with 1gram of weed in each, he said the officer was charging him with MIP. My husband went to sign him out from the plano police dept and took him home. No ticket was issued, no paperwork given, nothing. I have called and they said it was probably given to the juvenile probabtion division to see if charges will be brought against him??? and that it may take 2-3 months and nothing to do on my end but wait??? He was arrested in Plano, fingerprinted and mug shots taken, then released to my husband. He is 16, soon to be 17 in December......First offense of any kind. His girlfriend was allowed to call her parents to come and drive her car home and was ticketed for paraphanalia, she had a bag with 1gm of weed. Please advise what they should do!

1. JaPaula C Kemp

Pro

Answered . The charges (if accepted) will be dealt with by a juvenile court. Each need their own separate lawyers that practice in the area of juvenile law. Many offer free consultations.

2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

Answered . May I suggest that you take your son forthwith to an appointment with a lawyer in your area who handles both juvenile delinquency and adult criminal matters?

You need case specific advice, which is inappropriate to give without a detailed review of the case. A detailed review is not possible on avvo.

Most lawyers that might handle this sort of thing do not charge for the first visit. But, if that is important, be sure to ask.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . Talk with the Public Defender and if not satisfied a private criminal defense attorney.