My son was physically assaulted by an employee at his middle school. The principle notified me of this the day it happened.

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicopee, MA

My son is accusing a school employee of choking him and the school is investigating it. The employee is on administrative leave and the last time I spoke to the principle of the school (yesterday, Wednesday October , 2013) he informed me it is taking longer than expected and now the attorneys are involved and the school union. I don't know where to turn for help. Because the school informed me they are working with their attorneys makes me worried that they know they are at fault and I don't know what to do at this time. The school did say they will give me all the documentation from the investigation after they redact it so I am awaiting this info. What recourse do I have?

1. Sam Schoenfeld

2

Answered . I am sorry that this happened to your son. I suggest you immediately make a a written demand for all your son's education records, including discipline reports. Consultation with an experienced attorney in education matters would make sense. This is a complex situation with many layers and overlapping laws.

2. Daniel Dufresne

1

Answered . What do you want to happen? Have the police been involved? Was your son injured or otherwise traumatized? These are all questions to discuss with an experienced civil litigation attorney.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . There is no sound reason for delaying a police report here.

4. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Answered . I agree with my colleague that you need to sit down with a civil attorney and talk about various options. Reporting to the school district superintendent. Reporting to police. Etc.