My son was married 8 months ago and it may not have been legally filed. He now seeks a divorce, Is there any way to validate?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

They got married over a weekend in Savannah GA, I can't fine records through online sources. Is there a way to validate? Is he still at legal risk if he goes on without some legal action. He filed taxes jointly with her does this represent a problem?

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

3

Answered . There are no online records of divorces in Georgia so stop looking online.

It is very easy to get married in Georgia. You go to probate court, pick up a license in about 5 minutes and then have any judge or mninister sign it. If they did that they are married. (They are supposed to return it to the probate court, which records it so there is a record (which can only be looked up in person), but the marriage is valid even if they miss that step.

Your son needs a divorce. That means he needs a lawyer.

2. David A. Canale

Pro

Answered . It is unlikely that you would find any record of marriage licenses online Georgia. Does your son have a marriage certificate?

It sounds like he needs to contact an attorney for assistance. He also needs to go to the probate court where he obtained the marriage license and get a copy of the license and the certificate. Then, he needs to see a divorce lawyer.