My son was killed,and his mom filed a lawsuit against the complex were he was killed.i recieved this letter of adminstration ,

Bradenton, FL |

do i need to respond

1. I am so sorry for your loss.
    YOur question is not clear to me. I am not sure what you received. Please provide more information.
    Here is what I think is happening. A wrongful death/survival action can only be brought once an estate is opened. YOur wife wants to file a claim so she is attempting?? to open an estate. Since you as the father might have an equal right to open the estate, what you got may be a renunciation--asking you to renounce your right to open the estate in favor of her.
    In any event, I suggest you take the document to a lawyer for review.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

2. Not clear what you received. Have a lawyer in your city read it

3. I would suggest consulting with a lawyer who handles wrongful death cases like my self to review the documentation and your rights as the deceased father.

Legal Disclaimer: To learn more about attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm 888-254-7119 or visit our homepage at www.LigoriCappyLaw.com. Keith Ligori is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Ligori strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received. If you are interested with talking to Keith Ligori and asking him more detail questions about your crash or situation feel free to call him any time. We forward our office phones to Mr. Ligori's cell phone at nights and weekends so his clients or potential clients can contact him about your case. To learn more about Attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm toll free at 888.254.7119 or visit www.keithligorilaw.com

4. Consult a wrongful death attorney. An Estate has been opened to presumably lay the ground work for a suit. The Letters of Administration authorize her to act as the personal representative of the Estate and do what needs to be done.

5. You probably received a document which waives your opposition to your son's mother to bring the claim. If you have no objection then you sign it. But it is always better to consult with an attorney before doing so to understand the ramifications. You could also call her attorneys and request that they explain the purpose to you.

6. First, I'm sorry for your loss... I also am assuming you and your son's mother are not married. The best advice is to contact a Florida personal injury lawyer immediately to discuss the situation and how to best protect you and your son's memory. Feel free to visit my web site for additional information that may be able to assist or call.

Legal Disclaimer: If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Mr. Shiner is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Shiner strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. To learn more about David I. Shiner or the Shiner Law Group, P.A. please call our office at (561) 368-3363 or toll free at 1 (855) 368-3363 or visit website at www.ShinerLawGroup.com or www.InCourt.com

7. You need to contact an attorney ASAP. There are sever time limitations in these cases and since we cannot know what you received we cannot give you a concrete answer.

8. I suggest that you contact an attorney in the State where the estate is being administered. You may have a claim under the wrongful death suit and your interests need to be protected.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

9. I assume you are divorced or seperated. Sometimes the courts allow co-personal representatives of the estate. That way you can share in the decisions.

10. Under the Florida Wrongful Death Act, Section 768.21(4) provides that "Each parent of a deceased minor child may also recover for mental pain and suffering from the date of injury. Each parent of an adult child may also recover for mental pain and suffering if there are no other survivors."
    Accordingly you have a right as a survivor under the Act to recover your own damages. The estate must and it sounds like has been opened, with the mother seeking appointment as Personal Representative to administer the estate, and who will be entitled to a PR fee as well as her own damages. You need to hire a lawyer who regularly handles Wrongful Death cases. Your individual clAm may be valuable and you can hire your own lawyer to protect your rights and decide if you have a realistic chance of being appointed PR instead of Mom.

LEGAL ADVICE: Unless you have retained me as your attorney, and I am currently engaged by you and providing you with legal advice and services, nothing in this post is intended to be, nor may it be construed as, legal advice.