My son was jumped at a college party and defended himself. What can he be charged with?

The perpetrator punched him first and he fought back and tried to leave but the perp kept coming at him and after mys son was struck again, he punched the perp back. He was surrounded by others in the fraternity and took more punches and as the perp got up to hit him again he kicked him in the face causing a fractured jaw. Does the kick cause a more serious problem or was he in fact continuing to defend himself? The perp was hospitalized.

Brockport, NY -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (4)

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Criminal Defense Attorney - Garden City, NY

He can be charged with Assault 2 which is a felony. He may have a valid defense but that may not stop them from charging him.
He should make no statements and get him a good atty asap!

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a... more
Benjamin J Lieberman

Benjamin J Lieberman

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

He could be charged with felony assault and if convicted of that offense incarceration is mandatory. Unfortunately this that he was defending himself is something that he would have to prove in court and won't necessarily stop the government from charging him. Make sure that he has an attorney and that he not speak to anyone at all other than his attorney.

Richard Caro Roxin

Richard Caro Roxin

Criminal Defense Attorney - Rochester, NY

Your son can be charged with the felony crime of Assault in the Second Degree. He needs the services of a local, experienced criminal defense attorney, and that attorney is the only person your son should speak with about this incident.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Madison, WI

A broken jaw makes any potential charge more serious, yes. He can be charged with whatever a creative prosecutor finds in the statutes.

Self-defense is a real defense but one that needs to be pursued. It usually will not prevent a charge from being made. Your son needs a criminal defense lawyer, now.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)


Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.