Skip to main content

My son was involved in a hit/skip accident. He fled the scene. He has both valid license and insurance. He was just stupid an

Akron, OH |

My son was involved in a hit/skip accident. He fled the scene. He has both valid license and insurance. He was just stupid and panicked. He is clearly guilty and eye witnesses. Question: 1) is a lawyer necessary and 2) should he please guilty or innocent.?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Has he been charged with anything yet? As soon as he is charged, yes, he should hire a defense attorney. That attorney will be in the best position to advise him regarding plea.

  2. If he appears without an attorney, he will initially want to enter a plea of not guilty. However,he should retain a local criminal defense attorney who can get him the best deal.

    In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

  3. Your son should retain a criminal defense attorney if charges are being brought against him. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find attorneys in Akron to consult with. Best of luck to you and your son...

    THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

  4. His chances for a successful resolution increase exponentially with a criminal lawyer.

  5. Finding an attorney as soon as possible is the best option. This could be misdemeanor or a felony depending if anyone was injured. Legal representation will save a lot of money in the long run and possible could help him avoid a lengthy period of incarceration -- and even help protect against a future civil lawsuit.

  6. He certainly needs a lawyer and if he goes to court before he has retained a lawyer, he should plead not guilty. Let a lawyer evaluate the case, it's our job. Hit Skip is a first degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a 1000 fine, and includes a license suspension in addition to a good chance his insurance will increase. Call a criminal defense lawyer.

    This answer does not form an attorney-client relationship and is for advice only.

  7. It's a no brainer--get him represented now. Also ask about the possibility of a "civil compromise," either with the cops or with the court (assuming the victim consents).