My son was involved in a car accident in 2006. I sued on his behalf and he was awarded a settlement when he turned 18 in 2009.

I was in a car accident 2 weeks ago. I was injured and my car was totaled. The other driver admitted that he was at fault. Can I recover medical costs and pain and suffering or will it look bad because of the previous lawsuit.

Middlefield, OH -

John Robert Sauter

John Robert Sauter

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Columbus, OH

The prior case will have no impact on your ability to recover damages in the current motor vehicle collision. All measures of damages, economic (medical bills, expenses, etc.) and non-economic (pain, suffering, etc.) are available to you.

David Allen Herman Jr.

David Allen Herman Jr.

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Cleveland, OH

Definitely not. Your son's case is separate from your case. I hope you got checked out at the hospital following your accident. Assuming the person who hit you is insured, you should speak to an attorney to assist you with your claim. I'd be happy to speak with you. www.nphm.com

David Jay Sternberg

David Jay Sternberg

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Mentor, OH

No. It will have no effect on your case. Get the medical treatment you need and consult with an attorney to further advise you.

Jeffrey Allan Leikin

Jeffrey Allan Leikin

I agree with most coments. If you injured the same body parts in both accidents then there may be an issue with damages. Otherwise you certainly have a right to proceed.