My son was in a terrible accident which left him in ICU for several weeks and he will need many more weeks in the hospital.

Asked about 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

He has no insurance and no job. The hospital wants my husband and me to sign as guardians for him. He is 36 and has nothing. Can they come after us for payment to the hospital if we sign for him? He was hurt in a motorcycle accident and no other vehicle was involved.

1. Michael C. Witt

Pro

9

Answered . You need to carefully read whatever it is that they want you to sign, and if you have any doubts about what it does or does not obligate you to do, have an attorney review it and advise you before signing anything.

Pro

8

Answered . You should also have a personal injury lawyer investigate the cause of the accident despite no other cars being involved. Could be a road defect or defective bike.

3. David Ian Schoen

Pro

7

Answered . You can take the documentation they want you to sign to a health care law attorney in your state who should be able to advise you if they are attempting to hold you responsible or just need your authority to make certain medical decisions.

4. James A. Lavoie

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . I'm very sorry to hear about your son's mishap. I've handled many m/c crashes and they are always very damaging. Is your son communicative? If he's not that may be a clue about what the hospital wants. As the others who have answered this question say, you should consult with counsel over what it is the hospital wants you to sign. But I suspect it is an effort to put you in a position to make decisions regarding his care. As for the medical expenses, if your son has limited assets he probably qualifies for medical assistance and application should be made for him to his county of residence promptly. The hospital social worker can help with that. Best of luck and best wishes for your son's recovery.

5. Jason F. Hahn

5

Answered . I am very sorry to hear about your son, I hope his recovery is swift. If he was in the accident and it the fault of another person, or he was passenger, you need to consult with a personal injury attorney immediately. Any good personal injury firm will discuss the case and probably review this paper you refer to without a charge.

I would not even consider signing it without an attorney reviewing it, if it is in any way unclear as to what the document means for you as the signatory. It is hopefully just a document in which you state you will make his health care decisions while he is unable to do so himself, but you want to be sure.

Sorry again to hear about his accident. Hang in there.