Skip to main content

My son was hit by a woman who ran a stop sign. I had no insurance because I was unemployed. How do I get money for this?

Detroit, MI |

I was unemployed and couldn't afford insurance and my son was injured.

Attorney Answers 8

  1. Find a local attorney to help you with this matter. You may still file a claim for personal injuries against the guilty driver's insurance even if you don't have insurance.

  2. It doesn't matter if you don't have insurance. You have a right to recover if your son was injured. I'm sure there are plenty of medical providers in MI that will front their medical services in order to make sure your sons health is back to normal. That being said, contact a local lawyer immediately and don't speak to the negligent party's insurance company.

  3. Contact a personal injury lawyer near you to make a claim against the driver that ran the sign

  4. Thanks to all the out of state attorneys answers, but they are all wrong. Michigan's no fault system, unique in the nation, does not allow recovery if driving an uninsured vehicle. In fact, the insurer for the other side can collect from you, the uninsured owner. Very harsh results, but that's our system.

    My answer to you question does not constitute legal advice. Only an in person or telephone consultation will result in an attorney/client relationship. Call me at (313)402-0853 to discuss your matter further.

  5. Tim Klisz is correct. Your son can still recover against the woman and her insurance company, as well as collect Michigan no fault benefits. But the law here is very harsh and you will be barred from any recovery.

  6. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I think that most of the attorneys who answered before me misunderstood the circumstances. Was your son in a vehicle? When I read your question, it sounded to me like your son was a pedestrian who got hit by a woman who was driving a car. If that's the case, the fact that you didn't have insurance wouldn't affect your opportunity to recover. If your son was a pedestrian and was struck, you need to contact an attorney who handles such claims as soon as your son has recovered to an extent that permits you to get away for long enough to sit down for a consultation. Most attorneys who handle this type of claim, including myself, offer free consultations. Many attorneys who handle this type of claim, including myself, are often willing to "front" the costs of litigation (meaning that you don't pay anything unless you recover). I hope your son is OK, and I hope this helps. Take care.

    My discussion with you regarding the question you posted on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is my response to your question to be considered legal advice. While I do my best to provide helpful responses given the factual scenario presented, proper analysis of any matter requires a more in-depth conversation than what is practical on Avvo. If you are a member of the military, or if an immediate family member of yours lost his or her life while fighting for our country, I am proud to offer a 10% discount on my fee.

  7. Short answer: you son can potentially recover compensation for his injuries and no-fault benefits which includes payment of all medical bills. If you hire an attorney, be sure to ask if the company paying your son could possibly try to get the money back from you for being uninsured.

    not a complete and all encompassing informative guide to the law. Every year, the Michigan Law changes in some fashion. New laws are passed and the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court decide cases that change the law. As a result, we recommend that you contact a licensed attorney who specializes in this area of the law.