My son was hit by a woman who ran a stop sign. I had no insurance because I was unemployed. How do I get money for this?

Asked over 1 year ago - Detroit, MI

I was unemployed and couldn't afford insurance and my son was injured.

1. Steven M. Gursten

Pro

7

Answered . Tim Klisz is correct. Your son can still recover against the woman and her insurance company, as well as collect Michigan no fault benefits. But the law here is very harsh and you will be barred from any recovery.

2. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

6

Answered . Thanks to all the out of state attorneys answers, but they are all wrong. Michigan's no fault system, unique in the nation, does not allow recovery if driving an uninsured vehicle. In fact, the insurer for the other side can collect from you, the uninsured owner. Very harsh results, but that's our system.

Pro

7

Answered . Klisz is correct.

4. Antonios Kalogerakos

5

Answered . It doesn't matter if you don't have insurance. You have a right to recover if your son was injured. I'm sure there are plenty of medical providers in MI that will front their medical services in order to make sure your sons health is back to normal. That being said, contact a local lawyer immediately and don't speak to the negligent party's insurance company.

5. Mickey David Larson

3

Answered . Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I think that most of the attorneys who answered before me misunderstood the circumstances. Was your son in a vehicle? When I read your question, it sounded to me like your son was a pedestrian who got hit by a woman who was driving a car. If that's the case, the fact that you didn't have insurance wouldn't affect your opportunity to recover. If your son was a pedestrian and was struck, you need to contact an attorney who handles such claims as soon as your son has recovered to an extent that permits you to get away for long enough to sit down for a consultation. Most attorneys who handle this type of claim, including myself, offer free consultations. Many attorneys who handle this type of claim, including myself, are often willing to "front" the costs of litigation (meaning that you don't pay anything unless you recover). I hope your son is OK, and I hope this helps. Take care.

6. Nathanael Prada

4

Answered . Find a local attorney to help you with this matter. You may still file a claim for personal injuries against the guilty driver's insurance even if you don't have insurance.

7. Scott Douglas Camassar

4

Answered . Contact a personal injury lawyer near you to make a claim against the driver that ran the sign

8. Jason A. Waechter

2

Answered . Short answer: you son can potentially recover compensation for his injuries and no-fault benefits which includes payment of all medical bills. If you hire an attorney, be sure to ask if the company paying your son could possibly try to get the money back from you for being uninsured.