My son was ELS from USMC DEP program for medical reasons(psoriasis) he was given a positive diagnosis during DEP.

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Military law

He enrolled in Aug 2011, he was given a diagnosis of possible psoriasis 1 year prior. after enrollment he went to MEPS and passed with no questions asked. He also answered no on his form. He technically wasnt given a positive diagnosis until April 2012, when he saw a dermatologist. Anyway 14 days before he was too ship out he let his recruiter know what the problem was, he was released from DEP and told it would be 4-6 months before anything could be done. 2 days after getting this news, it was a Friday, his recruiter called and said get your paperwork your going to MEPS on Monday-and shave your head(maybe so they can check it?)we got as much info as we could regarding this but not all of it-questions is does he tell them at MEPS there is more paperwork or do we go with what we got--

He should tell the MEPS doctor everything he has to tell--provide any supporting documents. Not sure what good it would be to tell the doctors there is more infomation to provide but then failing to provide it. If you believe the additional information will help your son in some way--tell the recruiter he can't make the Monday MEPS call. Understand the desire to be responsive to the recruiter, but if its better to wait, tell the recruiter and reschedule the MEPS appearance.

If he does not reveal a condition and later the government discovers a condition that pre-existed his enlistment, and the government believes he knew about it and concealed the information--he would very likely be discharged--maybe under a fraudlent enlistment charge.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I do five my 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Deanne L. Bonner Simpson

Deanne L. Bonner Simpson

I would agree with Mr. Rafter, and would add that if the documents are not part of his miitary records, it could result in future denial of VA disability benefits related to this condition.

Army Regulations set out the rules all the military services follow for disqualifying and non-disqualifying medical conditions at enlistment or which happen during service.
Psoriasis can be a disqualifying condition.
"2ā€“28. Skin and cellular tissues.
o. Current or history of psoriasis (696.1) does not meet the standard."
Therefore your son should disclose this at MEPS. During that time there is the possibility that they will give him a waiver to enlist. But he should be prepared to be rejected for the medical condition.

1ā€“6. Review authorities and waivers
a. Medical fitness standards cannot be waived by medical examiners or by the examinee.
b. Examinees initially reported as medically unacceptable by reason of medical unfitness when the medical fitness
standards in chapter 2, 3, 4, or 5 apply, may request a waiver of the medical fitness standards in accordance with the
basic administrative directive governing the personnel action. Upon such request, the designated administrative authority or his or her designees for the purpose may grant such a waiver in accordance with current directives. The Office of
the Surgeon General provides guidance when necessary to the review and waiver authorities on the interpretation of the
medical standards and appropriateness of medical waivers. The Secretary of the Army is the waiver authority for
accession. That authority is delegated down through the Deputy Chief of Staff, Gā€“1 to the authorities listed in
paragraphs c through i, below.

If your son does not disclose and the problem is (will likely be discovered) then he has a potential fraudulent enlistment charge. That charge could result in discharge with an adverse characterization.

Military law topics