My son was driving his girlfriend uninsured car and got into a fender bender. The car in front has very little damage, but the c

Round Lake, IL |

The car in the back of them has a little more damage. What is my son's liability?

1. It is impossible to tell what your son's liability is without more information. He may well be responsible for the damage to the car in front of him.

2. Need more information to determine fault. If your son has insurance he should report it to his carrier immediately. Best of luck.

Mr Martinous is licensed to practice law in RI, MA and FL. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer is for informational purposes only and is not to be considered legal advice. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney client relationship.

3. It is difficult to address your question without facts as to how the collision occurred. If you turn it over to your insurance then you should not have to worry about anything.

4. Don't know. What we do know is that he should report it to his carrier if he has insurance. Otherwise, he will need to pay a lawyer to defend or pay damages to all who claim he was at fault.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

5. More information is necessary on how this collision occurred and why your son hit the car in front. Generally, if you fail to stop and hit the car in front you are liable. Typically these collisions occur because the driver behind is going too fast and/or didn't leave enough space to allow a stop before hitting the car in front. This is called the assured clear distance ahead rule which requires the driver to drive at a speed and allow enough space to safely stop before hitting the car in front no matter the reason why the car in front stopped. THe driver is supposed to anticipate that the driver in front will stop suddenly. Your son is probably not responsible for the car hitting him from behind for the same reason, that driver is responsible for hitting your son. There are some exception but few and you do not give enough information to access. Your son has insurance and he should immediately place the carrier on notice; that's why you have insurance.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

6. Need a few more facts here...

7. Need more information to answer