My son was convicted on drug related charges Can he records be expunged?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lorton, VA

He was convicted on just the use of drugs. But violated probation then served his time. He has benn out for about two yrs. this happen about six yrs ago. He can't get or keep a job because of background checks.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A conviction cannot be expunged in Virginia. He can seek a pardon if he was actually innocent and later proven so.

    Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice.... more
  2. Alexander John Gordon

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Unfortunately, for a drug conviction in Virginia, an expungement is not permissible according to Virginia law. The only way to have such a record erased is through a pardon from the Governor, which is a complex and difficult process.

    It is difficult to achieve employment with a conviction, but I wish you and your son success in the future.

  3. John Skyler Riordan

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Typically, an adjudication of guilt cannot be expunged.

    John S. Riordan, Esq.
    West Palm Beach, FL

    The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,710 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,710 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering