My son was convicted of a Felony level 4. Where does the level 4 mean and are there other levels of Felony?

Laurel, MD |

I am looking for the description of the different types of felony and are any more easily removed from your record than others?

Although the criminal code itself does not distinguish one felony from another by "levels", Maryland's Sentencing Guidelines classify offenses into different levels of seriousness, which affect the severity of the recommended punishment range. A higher level is less serious, and a lower level is more serious for recommended sentencing ranges. In other words, a Level IV offense is less serious than a Level I offense, but it is more serious than a Level VII offense, which is the least serious offense level. The only way short of a pardon to avoid a conviction is if the judge grants a "probation before judgment," either at the time of sentencing, or upon reconsideration following a timely filed motion. Other factors (such as a prior criminal history of convictions and victim injury) could enhance the punishments under the given offense level, or could mitigate the sentence the other direction (such as no prior criminal history and the defendant's acceptance of responsibility and rehabilitative efforts related to the present offense). You should speak to your son's criminal defense lawyer for more guidance.

2. Which State was your son convicted in?

You should seek the advise of a licensed attorney. Information contained in this post is not legal advise and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. Maryland does not have different levels of felony convictions. Generally, I am not aware of provisions to remove felony convictions from your record short of a governor's pardon

I am pleased to communicate with you concerning legal matters. However, if you communicate with me through this website regarding a matter for which my firm DOES NOT ALREADY REPRESENT YOU, your communication may NOT be treated as privileged or confidential, and shall NOT be deemed to create an attorney/client relationship. Furthermore, you should NOT provide confidential information to my law firm in an e-mail inquiry or otherwise unless we have FIRST entered into a representation agreement.

4. Are you talking about a 4th degree sex offense? There is also a fourth degree burglary, but that is a misdemeanor. Those are the only fourth degree offenses I can think of right now.