My son was charged with leaving the scene of an auto accident, property damage only

His car was being re - inspected at an auto body shop and there was some confusion and my son had to pull his car out of the bay himself and there was minor damage to the bay door . He thought since the auto body shop had worked on his car previously and had his name and address and phone number that he didn't need to go inside and give his information again . My son's insurance paid for it to be repaired already . The clerk magistrate said he needed to find out more information when we went into the court the first time . Then , he received a notice for an arraignment . My son has no prior record , not even a speeding ticket . What should we expect at the arraignment ?

Abington, MA -

Henry Lebensbaum

Henry Lebensbaum

Criminal Defense Attorney - Andover, MA

Get a lawyer

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Brynn Sullivan Zawada

Brynn Sullivan Zawada

Personal Injury Lawyer - Leominster, MA

The arraignment is your son's opportunity to enter his "official" plea of guilt or innocence. The court will ask your son what he plans to do about an attorney. If he qualifies, he may be given a court appointed attorney. He also has the option to represent himself or hire his own attorney. If he chooses to represent himself, he will have to sign a waiver of counsel and he will then, most likely, be given an opportunity to speak with the Assistant District Attorney. The best advice to your son is get an attorney PRIOR to the arraignment. Once your son is arraigned, the charges will show on his CORI record regardless of the disposition of the case (you can petition to seal a record later under certain circumstances). Having an attorney familiar with the local district court where you live can be a tremendous advantage in reaching a disposition PRIOR to arraignment. Good luck.

Erik Hammarlund

Erik Hammarlund

Employment / Labor Attorney - Vineyard Haven, MA

Get a lawyer. You shouldn't risk an arraignment gone wrong.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Bottom line is that one of the good criminal lawyers from your state who answered above should be retained.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Seattle, WA

I agree with the others, don't fool around with this situation, hire a quality criminal law attorney.