Skip to main content

My son was charged with leaving the scene of an auto accident, property damage only

Abington, MA |

His car was being re - inspected at an auto body shop and there was some confusion and my son had to pull his car out of the bay himself and there was minor damage to the bay door . He thought since the auto body shop had worked on his car previously and had his name and address and phone number that he didn't need to go inside and give his information again . My son's insurance paid for it to be repaired already . The clerk magistrate said he needed to find out more information when we went into the court the first time . Then , he received a notice for an arraignment . My son has no prior record , not even a speeding ticket . What should we expect at the arraignment ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Get a lawyer

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.


The arraignment is your son's opportunity to enter his "official" plea of guilt or innocence. The court will ask your son what he plans to do about an attorney. If he qualifies, he may be given a court appointed attorney. He also has the option to represent himself or hire his own attorney. If he chooses to represent himself, he will have to sign a waiver of counsel and he will then, most likely, be given an opportunity to speak with the Assistant District Attorney. The best advice to your son is get an attorney PRIOR to the arraignment. Once your son is arraigned, the charges will show on his CORI record regardless of the disposition of the case (you can petition to seal a record later under certain circumstances). Having an attorney familiar with the local district court where you live can be a tremendous advantage in reaching a disposition PRIOR to arraignment. Good luck.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and is expressly not legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. Readers should not act upon this without seeking advice from professional advisers


Get a lawyer. You shouldn't risk an arraignment gone wrong.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.


Bottom line is that one of the good criminal lawyers from your state who answered above should be retained.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


I agree with the others, don't fool around with this situation, hire a quality criminal law attorney.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer