My son was charged with a DUI,he cant afford an attorney.How should he handle this?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Everett, WA

He is 27,never been in trouble with the law, this is his 1rst offense. He will plead NOT GUILTY. What should he expect and what can he do to prepare for his court hearing which is two days from now on the 17 in Snohomish County courthouse

Additional information

He refused the breath test at time of arrest, and again in the jail. The arresting officer listed him as :white male" on the ticket but he is dark olive skinned and 1/4 Indian.Additionally, he was driving his friends' car who, at the time, had his licensce suspended .When the officer ran the plates he assumed my son was his friend, the one who has his licence suspended. My son's licence has never been revoked or suspended. And he was not doing any drugs or taking any meds the night this happened.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Todd Jason Allen

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . While the above answer is correct in that your son should get an attorney appointed asap, the Snohomish County Public Defender Association is not where he should go to get assigned. The place he needs to go first is the Snohomish County Office of Public Defense. They are located in the main Snohomish County Courthouse at:
    3000 Rockefeller
    Everett, WA 98201
    Room C-103, First floor Courthouse (see C on map)
    Office Hours:
    8:30 am - 11:45 am and 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

    I know it might seem confusing, but they are the agency that first screens people to determine if they are eligible for a court appointed lawyer. They then refer the client to the appropriate agency. If your son's court hearing is in the main Snohomish County Courthouse (as opposed to the one story Everett Municipal Court on Wetmore and Pacific) he will be assigned to the Snohomish County Public Defender office that the above poster listed. Rest assured, that office is staffed with very knowledgeable, hardworking and dedicated attorneys and your son will get great representation. But he should go to the Office of Public Defense at the address listed above to get screened as soon as possible.

    Good Luck.

  2. Scott Weymouth Lawrence


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . PLEASE pay attention to where the attorney who answered your question practices. The attorney from Snohomish County Washington has given you the proper answer for this jurisdiction. In Snohomish County you must be screened by the Office of Public Defense. You cannot just walk into the public defender's office and talk to an attorney until you have been deemed qualified.

  3. Lauren Jennifer Cutuly Campoli


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You really need to obtain an attorney. In this great country, even if you can not afford an attorney, you are entitled to one. Here is the address and telephone number of the county pd's office.

    Snohomish County Public Defender

    1721 Hewitt Avenue, Suite 200
    Everett, WA 98201
    View Map & Directions
    T: 425-339-6300 F: 425-339-6363

    I encourage your son to go immediately to that office and obtain an attorney. There are some issues you presented in your question that need to be addressed.

    It is never advisable to proceed without an attorney on a DUI - even if it is a first offense.

    Best of luck,
    Attorney Campoli

  4. Michael M. Hawkins

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I would go to this website:

    Keep in mind that not everyone who cannot afford a lawyer will qualify for a public defender. I would do that right away since the court hearing is very soon. Good Luck.

    I am licensed to practice in Georgia.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,945 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,945 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering