My son was bite by a dog, will any lawyer take my case?

Asked over 3 years ago - San Antonio, TX

my 6 years old son was bited by my neighbor's dog. The dog owner refused pay anything. Since we lived in the apartment complex, the dog owner doesn't have insurance to cover the medical bill. I contacted several lawyers, but nobody would like take this case. Please let me know if any lawyer can take my case. I am here not only for money, but also for justice and the dog owner's responsibility.

1. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

2

Answered . Here are your problems: first, it depends on the circumstances of the bite as to whether the dog's owner is wholly responsible; second, if the dog's owner doesn't have insurance, they probably don't have a whole lot of money so what are you suing them for? Even if you win a judgment it may not be collectible. Winning a judgment and collecting on it are two different things. The dog's owner could file for bankruptcy and your judgment would then be worthless. In addition, what if you lose the suit? What if you lose and the judge orders you to pay the dog owner's costs in defending against your suit? It can happen.

The State Bar of Texas can give you a referral to an attorney: http://www.texasbar.com Or you could try suing him in small claims court for the amount of the medical bills, but, again, any judgment you win may not be collectible.

2. Stacey Erin Burke

Answered . Yes many lawyers will consider your case. Our firm takes dog bite cases. Normally you would go after the homeowners insurance for damages. You would need to find out if the owner has renters insurance. If you want to communicate, you can email info@smslegal.com.

3. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . Personal injury attorneys nearly always give a free initial consultation.

The insurance industry’s own statistics indicate that once an attorney becomes involved, the value of any claim at least doubles.

Put those two facts together and it is in your best interest to retain experienced legal counsel at your earliest possible convenience.

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

Pro

Answered . Dog bite liability should be evaluated by a personal injury lawyer handling dog bites in your state. Call enough lawyers and one should be willing to take the case.

Helpful Hint: Never obtain a lawyer at a contingency fee higher than 29%, or you won’t be left with much money.

Click on the name of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

5. Daniel Paul Buttafuoco

Pro

Answered . it is difficult to give an accurate evaluation of your case based on the information provided. however dog bite liability should be evaluated by experienced attorney who could help you determine your next best course of action. consultations are always free so we welcome you to call.