My son was at a friends house and they got to wrestling around. The friend dropped him on his head brusing his spinal cord.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Olathe, KS

After surgery and six weeks of pain and suffering he still cant move his left leg and suffers nerve damage pain in both hands. Can he file against his friends homeowners policy?

1. Richard Watts Morefield

3

Answered . You should contact a local personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. You should be able to get some reimbursement from a med-pay provision in the homeowners policy. The strength of your liability claim depends on more detailed information not included in your message.

2. Matthew Lawrence Bretz

Pro

3

Answered . There certainly may be a claim against the friend's homeowner's insurance. We would make claims for past and future medical bills, past and future lost wages, past and future pain, suffering and disability, and for any other consequential damages.

To pursue a claim we would have to prove that the friend was negligent. A lot of different factors would be be considered including the boys' ages, wrestling experience, supervision, consent to wrestling around, insurance policy limits, etc.

In Kansas we have something called "comparison of fault". Under this law the amount of money awarded for your son's damages would be reduced by whatever percentage of fault was attributable to him. If he were to be found 50% or more at fault, then the law would take away any recovery.

Please contact the undersigned if you have any questions regarding any aspect of this case.

Matt Bretz

Sent from my iPad because the World is my office.

3. David S. Adams

3

Answered . The prior answers here are pretty good. Be sure to talk to an experienced attorney sooner than later, there could be a statute of limitations as short as 2 years, and the attorney may make all the difference. I'd be happy to discuss further.

4. Gerald Lee Cross Jr.

1

Answered . You may have a claim, and you certainly may have rights in this situation. However, I would like to have more information through a free consultation that my firm offers because every case is different. Thank you very much.

5. Jeffrey Mark Adams

2

Answered . There may be a viable claim. Best action is speaking with local and qualified counsel. Do not post anymore facts and do not speak with their homeowners carrier. Speedy recovery.

6. Sean Michael Patrick

2

Answered . Yes. I would immediately consult with a personal injury attorney in your area for a free consultation.