My son was assaulted at school(details below)? Do I have a reasonable claim? The school disciplinary approach is pathetic.

Pratt, KS |
Filed under: Education law

My son has been avoiding this student. He's attempted to offer joints to him on several occasions for $20 & then started demanding he buy them for $20 & then just give him $20. He approached my son in the locker room after class which was unmonitored by the supervising teacher because he was babysitting his 4 year old son during class in his office with the door closed. He offered the deal again, my son walked away to water fountain, the other kid pursued him there, got in his face, poked him in the neck and made a derogatory statement about jizz on his neck, at which time my son pushed him out of his personal space after being poked/assaulted & turned to walk away, at which time the boy attacked him from behind leading to injuries. School response pathetic...Claim? Police contacted.

Did the police submit the case to the DA for possible charges?

You may have a claim; because every situation is unique and based on the facts surrounding that situation, I'd recommend you contact an attorney in your area who specializes in education or administrative law. Many lawyers provide initial consultations at no cost, so you'd have a good opportunity to review the facts together and discuss possible next steps / the viability of a lawsuit.

Thumbs-up to your son for walking away in an attempt to manage the situation. I'm so sorry he was injured in the end and I hope he is recovering/has recovered well. Good luck to you.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law