Skip to main content

My son was 16 years old and has 2 counts of attempted murder and gang enhancement case.

San Jose, CA |

My son was 16 years old and has 2 counts of attempted murder and gang enhancement case. How much time could e do? He has been tree for 3 years and nothing has happened . I have private criminal attorney. 1 st time ever been incarcerated and in trouble ever!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Unfortunately these cases take a long time. 3-5 years is not uncommon. The fact that your attorney is in year 3 is a good sign for your son, because your attorney cares. If he didn't care he would have resolved this case a long time ago. But here he's fighting. Talk to your attorney. He can provide you with a better perspective. Bear in mind that he can't tell you everything so when you sense that don't suspect that he isn't working for your son. He's caught up in attorney client privilege information that he can't disclose even though you may have paid him. I wish your son the best.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


If you got a private criminal attorney, then you have made a good decision to invest in fighting the case. Criminal cases are complex and dynamic and they change over time. His is a serious case that can land him in prison for a long time. The gang allegation makes it more difficult. Best to sit down with the attorney you hired, the person who presumably has been on the case for 3 years, who knows all the evidence and get the answer from that person. Everyone here would be guessing. Good luck.


You should be consulting your son's lawyer if he does not have one, you should get him the best local criminal litigator you can afford.

There is no confidentiality online. Do not talk to the police without an attorney Volunteering to answer this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. The accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The likelihood of a positive outcome- exoneration or a mitigated sentence- is increased with the help of an experienced criminal litigator. Seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. If you cannot find one on Avvo, search at the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ( Speak to several attorneys and hire the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable. NACDL local members:

Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.

James Regan

James Regan


I've changed the category because attempted murder is universally accepted as a 'Violent Crime'.


You've hired an attorney for a reason. The fact that a very serious case like this has gone on for three years is not necessarily a bad sign, indeed it likely indicates that there has been substantial investigation into the matter. From the perspective of the defendant often a criminal case is like a fine wine, it gets better with age. Again, the attorney you've hired will know more about the case than anyone here. Good luck.

For a Free Consultation Call: 408.313.5607

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer