Skip to main content

My son told his school counselor he's being hit at home, she reported us to WA CPS. Husband travels for work, can leave country?

Bellingham, WA |
Filed under: Child abuse

Can my husband leave the country for scheduled work if a CPS complaint has been lodged and a criminal and CPS investigation are expected. It was lodged today.

Attorney Answers 2


He should be available to answer questions, but unless a court has ordered something, he should be fine. It would help to contact a local attorney who does juvenile work.

Mark as helpful


So long as there is no order requiring him to stay, he can leave. Having practiced in this area in FL for several years, I can advise, however, that appearances are important: if it suddenly seems he's skipping town and he doesn't cooperate with CPS's investigation (NOT the criminal investigation-- that I'll address after), that may raise questions. As for the criminal investigation, it's always best to have an attorney at your side during any such interview.

Mark as helpful

Child abuse topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics