My son received a speeding ticket in Nassau county 100 in a 55. He sent back the ticket pleading guilty. Can he change his plea?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jamaica, NY

He is 18, no prior tickets or violations.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm not sure the Court will accept a mail plea on this. He could face criminal charges for going so fast and the wrong Judge might want to jail him! I suggest you hire a criminal defense or traffic court lawyer ASAP as this is likely more serious than you think.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  2. Matthew Scott Kam Tannenbaum


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes if he acts quickly. He needs to cal. A local traffic or criminal defense attorney to appear for him and negotiate a lesser charge.

    When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on NY law as I am licensed... more
  3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . They will not accept that plea. It will be mailed back. You MUST hire an attorney as he faces revocation of his license.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a... more
  4. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I think when you plead guilty by mail you are signing an affidavit swearing you are guilty and ready to pay the fine. To cancel this, if possible, would be up to the court and may require a new affidavit pleading not guilty and giving a good excuse why you pled incorrectly the first time like you didn't understand or something reasonable. Then you will have your day in court. If found guiilty you could be made to pay court costs on top of the fine.

    Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.


    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728

    The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,013 answers this week

3,072 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,013 answers this week

3,072 attorneys answering