My son ran away from his juvenile placement, how can I insure that he is arrested for a bench warrant alone?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pottsville, PA

My son, who recently turned 18, has been adjudicated to a juvenile placement for the last year. Last week he did not return from his work release. A bench warrant has been issued. I received information about his possible location several counties away. I informed the police in that town but it has been several days and they have not arrested him. I have been told by his probation officer and placement facility that they will not look for him but only arrest him if they come across him for another reason. I want him off of the streets before he commits more crimes - not after. He has no money or any legal way to support himself. Is there anything that I can do? Also, can the people who he is staying with be charged for supporting him? Can I get the state police involved?

1. Alan Jay Dion

1

Answered . If the probation officer is not interested in finding your son, you have a problem. You don't specify the crime or crimes that lead to his incarceration in the first place. The probation officer would be more interested if the crimes were violent. If you know where your son is and have any influence over him, at all, try to contact him and try to convince him to turn himself in. Usually, if you can't get something done by the authorities after notifying them once, a second call, asking to speak to a supervisor or manager might get a better result. Other than those suggestions I don't think you need legal advice, Your question is more about parenting and your son is an adult now, by law, so he will make his own choices and there's not much you can do.

2. Robert C. Keller

Answered . If you want to find your son, you can hire a private detective to locate him. Good luck.