Skip to main content

My Son needs Child Support

Orlando, FL |

My boy friend was involved in a car accident about 6 years ago and won a big settlement of about 1 million dollars. Unfortunately though he has lost his mental capacity to function and so he had to move in with his mother and left me alone with our 1 year old son. His mother took all the money and my son haven't received even a dime. What can I do so our son can get child support since his grandmother took all the money. I need help please.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to contact local and qualified counsel asap; probably attorneys who handle domestic relation matters. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Court orders govern these situations. You should contact an attorney immediately to review the matter.


Consult a family law attorney.

This information does not constitute am attorney / client relationship and is just a general answer to the question posed with the limited facts available. There is no substitute to a consultation with an attorney licensed in your State.


Get representation from a local family law attorney.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


If the injury occured over four years ago you would, unfortunately, be unable to file a claim for your son even if your boyfriend had not settled his case. Under Florida law such a claim must be filed within a four year period following the accident. It would seem that your recourse at this point would be to seek social security benefits for your son arising from the injury suffered by his father. If this has not been done check the internet for an attorney in your area that handles social security matters.. Good luck to you and your son.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer