Skip to main content

My son married a girl from brazil, here illegally. they have a daughter and have relocated to fla. can she apply for food stamps

Port Saint Lucie, FL |

until my son finds a job and home? (they're staying with us until then)

Attorney Answers 3

  1. She cannot, no, but he can, especially with his daughter. He is a citizen, so he can apply, and his daughter is a citizen too. She needs to get an immigration lawyer and apply for an adjustment of status with an alien relative petition. There is a new law that could mean she would only need to leave the country for about two weeks for a consular adjustment. They need to talk to an immigration attorney. But he needs to be able to support her first.

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

  2. DO NOT LEAVE THE COUNTRY. To my knowledge, she need not divulge her immigration status to obtain food stamps for her child.

    Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |

  3. Food stamp is a state program and I have yet to see a state which allowed people without valid immigrant status to apply. Even LPRs are not eligible in most circumstances.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics