My son just came from court today for be charged with less than an oz marijuana and trespassing..he was advised by the d.a.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lawrenceville, GA

to plead not guilty and go to trial...is this not just a little much for a misdemeamor citation? can he change he plee and just get a court appointed attorney.. he is only 19 and made a mistake but is now working and going to college and i dont want this to mess up his futre..please help

1. Benjamin David Goldberg

Pro

3

Answered . Hire a lawyer or ask that one be appointed to represent him. A conviction for misdemeanor marijuana could have very bad consequences, especially in terms of your son's driving privileges. There may be a way to get this case dismissed. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

2. Jessica Ruth Towne

Pro

3

Answered . This may also affect your son's college career. He needs an attorney to represent him, and the D.A. or solicitor can't do that. You should help your son get the best attorney possible.

3. Noah Howard Pines

Pro

2

Answered . If you don't want this to mess up his future you should get him a lawyer immediately. Please call me at 404-812-4305 if you want to discuss this case in detail.

4. Zachary Walter Procter

Pro

1

Answered . Miss Towne is correct as usual. You need to get good representation for your son to make sure that this is handled in a way that doesn't carry negative consequences later on in his life. There are several options available depending on the facts of his case and his criminal history or lack thereof. I used to be a prosecutor in Gwinnett County State Court and would be glad to discuss the case with you. Feel free to give me a call for a free consultation. 678-636-9224.

5. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

Answered . The prosecutors typically will not give a criminal defendant advice, so it sounds like he told them he did not commit the crime and they told him to go ahead and say not guilty for now. He should have asked to see if he qualified for a public defender today in court, and if he went ahead and entered a not guilty plea, the clock begins to run on the filing of motions and discovery in the case. Call the administrator for the public defender program in Gwinnett and see what needs to be done to apply for and get him an attorney asap. Gwinnett does not have a public defender office, but does appoint private attorneys to represent people who qualify financially for appointed counsel.

6. Allen Rust Knox

Answered . Your son can change his plea at any time. However, a conviction for marijuana will negatively affect your son's driver's license and chances of getting future employment. There are ways that he can avoid these negative affects even when entering a plea, but he needs a lawyer to guide him through it. Moreover, he may have a defense to these charges such as a violation of his search and seizure rights. Lawyers are trained to look for these defenses. Your son needs a lawyer.