My son is on IPP for a first time DUI offense. Should he hire an attorney to represent him at his hearing?

Asked over 1 year ago - Gettysburg, PA

After many months of looking, my son is working, paying his fines, keeping his PO meetings, and finishing up his community service. He attended the screening dui session but hasn't followed up with additional sessions yet but is trying to schedule these before his hearing date in three weeks. Thank you for your help.

1. 8

1

Answered . It would be a good idea to retain local counsel for your son. Make sure the attorney is experienced with local practice pertaining to IPP. You would be amazed at how differently IPP is managed from county to county.

2. 7

1

Answered . He should retain a criminal defense attorney for the entire case.

3. 7

Answered . I agree with the advice you've received for your son to consult with legal counsel. What is not at all clear from your post is what the "hearing" is all about.

4. 5

Answered . Yes its is always best to have counsel in criminal matters.

5. 6

1

Answered . Yes. If you want to find an attorney in your area here on AVVO you can select "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page. Good luck.

6. 3

1

Answered . Based upon the facts presented, it appears your son has previously pled guilty and received an IPP sentence, which, in Adams county, typically means he served the mandatory minimum portion of is sentence on Phase 1 (jail/work release) or 2 (house arrest/electronic monitoring) followed by Phases 3-5 (probation).

It sounds like he may be on the probationary portion of his sentence and has not completed all the terms of his supervision as he nears the end of it and may have a pending violation hearing. If this is the case, you should consult with and retain a criminal defense attorney with experience specific to Adams County.

With experience in handling probation/parole violation hearings in Adams County (and several recently), I know they have implemented newer policies and procedures for assessing violations and recommendations for new sentences. In fact, many people facing their first violation are receiving recommendations for anywhere from 3-6 months in jail. While this may not be the case for your son, you are wise to proceed with caution.

By retaining counsel, his lawyer would be able to contact probation to assess his liability, see if the violation or hearing can be avoided, and represent his interests at a hearing, if necessary.

Many attorneys, like me, offer free phone consultations. You should call a lawyer immediately.