Skip to main content

My son is on IPP for a first time DUI offense. Should he hire an attorney to represent him at his hearing?

Gettysburg, PA |

After many months of looking, my son is working, paying his fines, keeping his PO meetings, and finishing up his community service. He attended the screening dui session but hasn't followed up with additional sessions yet but is trying to schedule these before his hearing date in three weeks. Thank you for your help.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. He should retain a criminal defense attorney for the entire case.

  2. Yes. If you want to find an attorney in your area here on AVVO you can select "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page. Good luck.

  3. I agree with the advice you've received for your son to consult with legal counsel. What is not at all clear from your post is what the "hearing" is all about.

  4. It would be a good idea to retain local counsel for your son. Make sure the attorney is experienced with local practice pertaining to IPP. You would be amazed at how differently IPP is managed from county to county.

  5. Yes its is always best to have counsel in criminal matters.

    This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any decision in your case. Only consultation with your own attorney can provide you with the advice you need for your case.

  6. Based upon the facts presented, it appears your son has previously pled guilty and received an IPP sentence, which, in Adams county, typically means he served the mandatory minimum portion of is sentence on Phase 1 (jail/work release) or 2 (house arrest/electronic monitoring) followed by Phases 3-5 (probation).

    It sounds like he may be on the probationary portion of his sentence and has not completed all the terms of his supervision as he nears the end of it and may have a pending violation hearing. If this is the case, you should consult with and retain a criminal defense attorney with experience specific to Adams County.

    With experience in handling probation/parole violation hearings in Adams County (and several recently), I know they have implemented newer policies and procedures for assessing violations and recommendations for new sentences. In fact, many people facing their first violation are receiving recommendations for anywhere from 3-6 months in jail. While this may not be the case for your son, you are wise to proceed with caution.

    By retaining counsel, his lawyer would be able to contact probation to assess his liability, see if the violation or hearing can be avoided, and represent his interests at a hearing, if necessary.

    Many attorneys, like me, offer free phone consultations. You should call a lawyer immediately.

    The information provided herein neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor should it be used or relied upon to make any decision in your case. Communications made in open forums are neither made in a confidential setting nor protected by the attorney-client privilege. You should consult directly with an attorney to obtain a full evaluation of your case.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics