My son is in prison. His release date is not correct. How can we get help?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Appleton, WI

His sentence was concurrent to an existing sentence and now they have changed the release date to be 13 months longer than we were told by our attorney it would be.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Andrew Joel Golden

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Many times there are glitches in the Judgments of Conviction sent to the Records offices of the correctional institutions by the courts that do the sentencing. Sometimes it's as simple as ordering costs by default that the judge never ordered, and some times it's obnoxious like this situation.

    My first recommendation would be to have your son talk to the correctional institution's social worker or records person internally; they're usually pretty willing to explain how they came up with the release date. See if he can look at the Judgment of Conviction that was sent to the institution to confirm it's accurate. If it isn't, you might want to look into hiring counsel who can get a copy of the sentencing transcript and confirm that the judge did say that the sentence was to be concurrent and request that the court amend the Judgment of Conviction accordingly.

  2. Michael D. Petersen

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There may be many reasons for the different calculation. I would recommend contacting the sentencing attorney and have your son contact the records department at Dodge Correctional if he is still there. Get documentation from the institution and have the attorney explain it. Q

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,038 answers this week

2,891 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,038 answers this week

2,891 attorneys answering