My son is in CA prison system and I live in AR. How does he do a power of attorney for me to be the principal person?

Asked over 1 year ago - Little Rock, AR

I need to be able to handle some of his financial things and I am unable to handle some. How do we fill out the forms when they ask what state? His address of course is the prison address in CA but any bills come to my AR address. want to make sure I do this right. Thanks

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Scott Allen Scholl


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . As far as filling out a question on a form, we would need to see the question. He does not have to provide his state of residence, though sometimes when people draft POAs they do just to help to identify the person (e.g., John Doe of Anytown). In the same vein, the document may identify your residence to help identify you.

    The jurat for the notary would be for the State and County in which the notary is commissioned.

    This response is for information purposes only, it does not create any attorney-client relationship.... more
  2. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Your son needs to fill out the papers in the presence of witnesses in the prison and then send the POA paperwork to you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,309 answers this week

3,082 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,309 answers this week

3,082 attorneys answering