My son is in CA prison system and I live in AR. How does he do a power of attorney for me to be the principal person?

Little Rock, AR |

I need to be able to handle some of his financial things and I am unable to handle some. How do we fill out the forms when they ask what state? His address of course is the prison address in CA but any bills come to my AR address. want to make sure I do this right. Thanks

Your son needs to fill out the papers in the presence of witnesses in the prison and then send the POA paperwork to you.

As far as filling out a question on a form, we would need to see the question. He does not have to provide his state of residence, though sometimes when people draft POAs they do just to help to identify the person (e.g., John Doe of Anytown). In the same vein, the document may identify your residence to help identify you.

The jurat for the notary would be for the State and County in which the notary is commissioned.

This response is for information purposes only, it does not create any attorney-client relationship. Responses to questions posted on this Forum are of a general nature only. Because it is not possible to have all of the facts of your issue addressed in this forum, you should consult with an attorney to review the unique circumstances specific to your situation.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates