My son is going through a modification of time sharing/child support case. This has been dragging on since June.

Asked almost 2 years ago - West Palm Beach, FL

Will he be required to pay the increase in child support from June, or from the time the judge orders the modification? It's about a $700/month increase. Thank You

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brian Lee Michael Balaguera

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . We usually get back child support for our clients, to the date of the petition. He may be able to work out some type of payment plan for the arrears. If the other party makes a small income we will try to reasonable by breaking it into payments and add it into the current monthly obligation on the income deduction order. For example, $4000 in bank child support, broken into $100 per month, plus 450 monthly obligation equals $550. So obligation is $550 for 40 months, then drops down to $450 until the obligation is scheduled to end.

    The information provided herein is provided as general legal information and does not constitute legal advice.... more
  2. Brent Allan Rose

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I disagree with Mr. Trabin. It's up to the judge, but generally the modification is effective as of the date of filing the supplemental petition for modification.

    The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy),... more
  3. Eric J Trabin

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, your son will only pay what is ordered by the court. If and when the court modifies the child support obligation he will be required to pay that new amount from the time it is ordered.

    This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,298 answers this week

3,274 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,298 answers this week

3,274 attorneys answering