My son is going through a modification of time sharing/child support case. This has been dragging on since June.

West Palm Beach, FL |

Will he be required to pay the increase in child support from June, or from the time the judge orders the modification? It's about a $700/month increase. Thank You

We usually get back child support for our clients, to the date of the petition. He may be able to work out some type of payment plan for the arrears. If the other party makes a small income we will try to reasonable by breaking it into payments and add it into the current monthly obligation on the income deduction order. For example, $4000 in bank child support, broken into $100 per month, plus 450 monthly obligation equals $550. So obligation is $550 for 40 months, then drops down to $450 until the obligation is scheduled to end.

The information provided herein is provided as general legal information and does not constitute legal advice. The information is based on the facts given and should not be relied upon by the reader. An attorney-client relationship is not established by this transmitting this information. The best way to receive accurate advice and establish an attorney-client relationship is by retaining a licensed attorney.

No, your son will only pay what is ordered by the court. If and when the court modifies the child support obligation he will be required to pay that new amount from the time it is ordered.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

I disagree with Mr. Trabin. It's up to the judge, but generally the modification is effective as of the date of filing the supplemental petition for modification.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!