My son is going through a modification of time sharing/child support case. This has been dragging on since June.

Asked over 1 year ago - West Palm Beach, FL

Will he be required to pay the increase in child support from June, or from the time the judge orders the modification? It's about a $700/month increase. Thank You

1. Brian Lee Michael Balaguera

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . We usually get back child support for our clients, to the date of the petition. He may be able to work out some type of payment plan for the arrears. If the other party makes a small income we will try to reasonable by breaking it into payments and add it into the current monthly obligation on the income deduction order. For example, $4000 in bank child support, broken into $100 per month, plus 450 monthly obligation equals $550. So obligation is $550 for 40 months, then drops down to $450 until the obligation is scheduled to end.

2. Brent Allan Rose

3

1

Answered . I disagree with Mr. Trabin. It's up to the judge, but generally the modification is effective as of the date of filing the supplemental petition for modification.

3. Eric J Trabin

2

Answered . No, your son will only pay what is ordered by the court. If and when the court modifies the child support obligation he will be required to pay that new amount from the time it is ordered.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.