My son is charged with theft by taking. First offense. What would be the sentence?

Cleveland, OH |

He abandoned the semi tractor he was driving and the owner pressed charges in Dec. 2012. Since then the owner has dropped the charges but the state of GA is pursuing it. The vehicle was recovered and my son has made an agreement with the owner to pay restitution for losses incurred. Will any of the facts reduce the charge and if there are no witnesses can they pursue this? He was not aware there was a warrant out and was picked up and extradited a week ago.

There is nothing surprising in the fact that the state of GA is still pursuing charges in spite of the fact that the owner has dropped the charges. However, the recovery of the vehicle and the agreement with the owner for losses could possibly have a positive affect on the outcome. However, do not attempt to resolve this situation without input from counsel.

2. You need to hire a good criminal defense attorney in the area where the felony case is pending. Your attorney will assess the facts and law in OH and direct you through the process.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

3. Jail could happen which is why you need a Georgia attorney. Good luck.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    (937)510-6110 phone
    attycbeck@gmail.com
    www.becklawofficellc.com

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner