My son is charged with theft by taking. First offense. What would be the sentence?

He abandoned the semi tractor he was driving and the owner pressed charges in Dec. 2012. Since then the owner has dropped the charges but the state of GA is pursuing it. The vehicle was recovered and my son has made an agreement with the owner to pay restitution for losses incurred. Will any of the facts reduce the charge and if there are no witnesses can they pursue this? He was not aware there was a warrant out and was picked up and extradited a week ago.

Cleveland, OH -

Attorney Answers (3)

Douglas Holbrook

Douglas Holbrook

Criminal Defense Attorney - San Diego, CA

There is nothing surprising in the fact that the state of GA is still pursuing charges in spite of the fact that the owner has dropped the charges. However, the recovery of the vehicle and the agreement with the owner for losses could possibly have a positive affect on the outcome. However, do not attempt to resolve this situation without input from counsel.

Christopher Lee Beck

Christopher Lee Beck

Criminal Defense Attorney - Beavercreek, OH

Jail could happen which is why you need a Georgia attorney. Good luck.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
Beavercreek, Ohio
(937)510-6110 phone

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client... more
Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

Criminal Defense Attorney - Louisville, KY

You need to hire a good criminal defense attorney in the area where the felony case is pending. Your attorney will assess the facts and law in OH and direct you through the process.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Featured Legal Guides

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.