Skip to main content

My son is charged with possession of controlled substance, Would the D.A. agree to let him go to 1 yr. resident rehab program?

Canton, GA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

This is my son's first offense for possession of controlled substance. Could he be sent to rehab before his case goes to court?

Attorney Answers 2


This is something that potentially could be negotiated for your son. However, the Blue Ridge Circuit (Cherokee County) has a felony drug court. They are more likely to desire your son to complete their program as opposed to a program outside of the court system. They are also unlikely to allow the case to be continued/delayed in order for him to complete such a program. In order to get the best result possible for your son, you should retain an attorney to negotiate for him. Call me if I can be of assistance.

Allen R. Knox
125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
Kennesaw, GA 30144
(678) 334-1399

Mark as helpful


That's probably an option, but there are probably several other options too. Diversion, Drug Court, a First Offender disposition, etc... and that's assuming it's a good case for the state. If it's not, then maybe he shouldn't agree to do anything and fight the case instead.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics