My son is charged with possession of controlled substance, Would the D.A. agree to let him go to 1 yr. resident rehab program?

Canton, GA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

This is my son's first offense for possession of controlled substance. Could he be sent to rehab before his case goes to court?

This is something that potentially could be negotiated for your son. However, the Blue Ridge Circuit (Cherokee County) has a felony drug court. They are more likely to desire your son to complete their program as opposed to a program outside of the court system. They are also unlikely to allow the case to be continued/delayed in order for him to complete such a program. In order to get the best result possible for your son, you should retain an attorney to negotiate for him. Call me if I can be of assistance.

Allen R. Knox
125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
Kennesaw, GA 30144
(678) 334-1399

That's probably an option, but there are probably several other options too. Diversion, Drug Court, a First Offender disposition, etc... and that's assuming it's a good case for the state. If it's not, then maybe he shouldn't agree to do anything and fight the case instead.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.