Skip to main content

My son is a victim of abuse within his middle school and nothing is being done. What can I do legally to get justice for my son

Keansburg, NJ |
Filed under: Education law

My son has been attacked by four boys in his middle school hall way. He was held by one boy while another elbowed him in his face. There were students all around watching this. He screamed out for help knowing that teachers were in there class rooms and know one helped him. He even saw a teacher come down the hall way while this was going on and he way screaming only to watch her duck into a class room. He finally broke free and ran out of the school historically crying. I immediately took him into the school and reported it to his vice principal. My son has been terrorized and is unable to sleep. He never wants to go back to that school again. This is not this first time a particular boy has attacked my son there has been an incident before and nothing has been done.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. This is a terrible sitaution, and I am so sorry that you and your son have to deal with this. Unfortuately, this is not a domestic violence situation, but rather an Education law issue. I recommend re-posting in that area for assitance also consulting with an attorney who practices in that area of the law. Best of luck to you and your family!

    The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general information only. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and emails. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

  2. Your son has a claim for bullying and negligent supervision at a school. Please feel free to contact me.

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

  3. Ask for an interview with the principal or even the superintendent. Call an educational attorney. Go to the police and report it there as well. These days they should act. You put them notice that if anything happens to your son the ceiling will cave on them. Work through the attorney.

  4. Many communities throughout the State, in addition to the State's Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights. You need to bring this to the attention of the principal and perhaps the school board as well. Of course, there may be a need for filing a lawsuit if no action is taken.

    DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics