My son is 28 yrs old and an aloholic. He lives with two elderly men and he refuses to go get help. What laws can help me?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sachse, TX

How can I legally force him to obtain help? He does not work and the other men pay for his alcohol and it is killing him. Is there any legal measures I can take? GuardianShip, A threat of a wrongful death lawsuit to the older men to force them to take some action? Anything please

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Fran Brochstein

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the other attorney.

    You can call Adult Protective Services, if he is a danger to himself or others APS might get involved.

    Unfortunately, there is not much that you can do to help him. But I agree that YOU need to go to Alanon and get support for yourself. It is horrible to watch a family member destroy their life.

    You can also call your local policing agencies - police, constable and/or sheriff and see if they will help. If there is any criminal activity going on at the property, perhaps someone will be arrested. If your son is arrested, at least he might get sober. It's not ideal, but your situation is just not ideal. Of course, he would be very angry with you.

    Good luck!

  2. Jessica Anne Newill

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the other answers here. If there is mental illness involved, involuntary commitment might be an option. There is more information on the requirements at the following link:

    Good luck. I hope your son gets the help he needs.

    This answer contains general information. None of the information contained in this communication is intended as... more
  3. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am really very sorry for your situation. Having lived with an alcoholic for many years, I know what it does to you and the family. YOU can go to Alanon and that will likely help YOU. What you can do for your son is much more complex. A guardianship is a possibility, but that is not designed to deal with alcoholics. You cannot protect people from their own mistakes and weaknesses, in many cases. But all situations like this are heavily dependent on the facts.

    A list of treatment centers and other resources can be found, here:

    An attorney could be of assistance with guardianship, if that is what you think would help the most.

    I wish you the very best and hope that your son will decide that he wants more from life.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,301 answers this week

3,054 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,301 answers this week

3,054 attorneys answering