My son is 28 yrs old and an aloholic. He lives with two elderly men and he refuses to go get help. What laws can help me?

Sachse, TX |

How can I legally force him to obtain help? He does not work and the other men pay for his alcohol and it is killing him. Is there any legal measures I can take? GuardianShip, A threat of a wrongful death lawsuit to the older men to force them to take some action? Anything please

1. I am really very sorry for your situation. Having lived with an alcoholic for many years, I know what it does to you and the family. YOU can go to Alanon and that will likely help YOU. What you can do for your son is much more complex. A guardianship is a possibility, but that is not designed to deal with alcoholics. You cannot protect people from their own mistakes and weaknesses, in many cases. But all situations like this are heavily dependent on the facts.

A list of treatment centers and other resources can be found, here: http://local.soberrecovery.com/Help_for_Alcoholics_Austin_TX-r1298715-Austin_TX.html

An attorney could be of assistance with guardianship, if that is what you think would help the most.

I wish you the very best and hope that your son will decide that he wants more from life.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

2. I agree with the other attorney.

You can call Adult Protective Services, if he is a danger to himself or others APS might get involved.

Unfortunately, there is not much that you can do to help him. But I agree that YOU need to go to Alanon and get support for yourself. It is horrible to watch a family member destroy their life.

You can also call your local policing agencies - police, constable and/or sheriff and see if they will help. If there is any criminal activity going on at the property, perhaps someone will be arrested. If your son is arrested, at least he might get sober. It's not ideal, but your situation is just not ideal. Of course, he would be very angry with you.

Good luck!

3. I agree with the other answers here. If there is mental illness involved, involuntary commitment might be an option. There is more information on the requirements at the following link:

http://www.texasbar.com/Content/NavigationMenu/ForThePublic/FreeLegalInformation/FamilyLaw/CommittedtoHealingInvoluntaryCommitmentProcedures.pdf

Good luck. I hope your son gets the help he needs.

This answer contains general information. None of the information contained in this communication is intended as legal advice. You should neither act nor refrain from acting based on information obtained from the exchange of messages on this website. None of the information contained in this answer is privileged or confidential. You should retain an attorney to provide legal advice regarding this issue. Newill Law Firm provides estate planning and probate services. Call (210) 383-0546 for a FREE initial consultation.

Child custody topics