My son is 22 and lives with his friends. Do I still need to be on his school papers?

Asked over 1 year ago - North Brunswick, NJ

He needs to apply for grants and aid to continue his education. I heard he has to be emanicpated from me. How is that done and do I have to do that?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jonathan Seth Corchnoy

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You do not give enough informaiton to respond to your question. Are you asking regarding qualifying for college student aid? Are you asking regarding further education for a special needs child for post-secondary education or remedial education?

  2. Sean Patrick Lewis

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Emancipation usually pertains to minors (under 18). To be an independent student, you must meet at least one of the criteria here:

    Good luck!

    The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now