My son is 22 and lives with his friends. Do I still need to be on his school papers?

Asked over 1 year ago - North Brunswick, NJ

He needs to apply for grants and aid to continue his education. I heard he has to be emanicpated from me. How is that done and do I have to do that?

1. Jonathan Seth Corchnoy

Answered . You do not give enough informaiton to respond to your question. Are you asking regarding qualifying for college student aid? Are you asking regarding further education for a special needs child for post-secondary education or remedial education?

2. Sean Patrick Lewis

1

Answered . Emancipation usually pertains to minors (under 18). To be an independent student, you must meet at least one of the criteria here:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/help/fftoc02k.htm

Good luck!

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now