My son is 19 and just finished trade school do I still have to pay child support

Asked about 1 year ago - Manasquan, NJ

When does it stop and how do I go about it

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Kenneth A White


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The question should be whether your child is emancipated, as upon emancipation your child support obligation would terminate. If your child is over the age of 18 and no longer a full time student (without disability or other legitimate reason why he/she cannot be self-sufficient) there is a presumption of emancipation.

    If the child's primary custodian will voluntarily agree that the child is emancipated and your child support obligation is terminated the two of you can execute a Consent Order confirming those facts and file the same with the court. If the other party will not cooperate, you have to file a Motion with the court seeking (1) to emancipate the child and (2) to terminate your child support obligation.

    Kenneth A. White, Esq.

    The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,095 answers this week

3,271 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,095 answers this week

3,271 attorneys answering