My son is 19 and just finished trade school do I still have to pay child support

Asked about 1 year ago - Manasquan, NJ

When does it stop and how do I go about it

1. Kenneth A White

Pro

Answered . The question should be whether your child is emancipated, as upon emancipation your child support obligation would terminate. If your child is over the age of 18 and no longer a full time student (without disability or other legitimate reason why he/she cannot be self-sufficient) there is a presumption of emancipation.

If the child's primary custodian will voluntarily agree that the child is emancipated and your child support obligation is terminated the two of you can execute a Consent Order confirming those facts and file the same with the court. If the other party will not cooperate, you have to file a Motion with the court seeking (1) to emancipate the child and (2) to terminate your child support obligation.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.
    732-819-9100