Skip to main content

My son is 19. He is in a drug court program. He has been harshly punished for his first screw up. What can I do?

Lake Charles, LA |

He was 18 when he was arrested for possession of two pills.
He has been in the program for over a year and had reached level 4. He finished high school and successfully attended one semester at university.
He was sanctioned for missing two drug screens. One during finals, one during the holidays. His sanction was 6 days. The judge then called on the sixth day and said he had "heard things" and sterling would not be released. At day 12 he was brought to court without any legal counsel and was asked if he had used. He lied and said he did not. They then told him they had retested his past screens and found artificial pot one day. He was put back in jail for 30 days, 6 months of hard labor, 28 days of rehab and told this was his first and last chance. what can I do?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. At this point probably not much, but to make sure take with a qualified criminal defense attorney in your area to see if there is anything that can be done for your son.

  2. You should consult with a skilled criminal defense attorney to see if he can help your son. In any event the information you posted indicates your son has a drug problem. The Drug Court judges are there because they want to help drug offenders get back on track.
    Your posting is a little confusing. I cannot tell whether he was sentenced to 30 days, six months or both.

    This response does not creat an attorney client relationship. In all cases, I recommend you seek a paid consultation with an attorney with expertise in this area.