Skip to main content

My son is 13 years old and been 3 years now as a green card holder. will he become a U.S. citizen automatically on his 5th year?

Corona, CA |

my son is a step son of my wife who is a U.S. citizen since 2008. I came in as a green card holder too together with my son way back 2010.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. No such thing. Your son will only be able to file for his Certificate of Citizenship (N-600) if he is still under 18 when you, the father, are naturalized.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Stepchildren do not get automatic citizenship; but when you become a U.S. citizen if he is still under 18 his citizenship will be automatic..

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

    Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  3. The only way for your son to become a citizen without applying for it himself is if you, the father, become a ctizen before he turns 18. Otherwise, he will have to wait until his 18th birthday to naturalize.

  4. No.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics