My son has been accused of assaulting a teacher. There is a video, but the school will not allow us to view it. Can they do that

Asked about 1 year ago - Covington, TN

They said he donkey kicked her. There are two students that have not been interviewed that dispute what the school says. My son did use some vulgar language when the teacher would not stop grabbing him and poking her fingers in his chest. The video is the only way to tell exactly what happened but have been told we can not see it. Is it okay for a teacher to continuously grab a student even when asked to stop and is the school allowed to withhold the video? He has a school board hearing Thursday morning.

Additional information

The teacher has said she would not press charges. She also went to see a doctor that same day but stated that she thought she twisted her ankle when she ran after him. My son attended alternative school twice in Middle school but has not been to a board hearing since. He is now a HS Senior and is a dual enrollment student with a college.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Alan Daniel Hall

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . I would recommend you hire an attorney immediately and not discuss facts of the case in a public forum like this. Especially things that could be considered admissions. I would recommend you use the find lawyer tab above to locate an attorney in your area. Many lawyers provide a fee consultation where you can gain an understanding of your legal rights. Good Luck.

    Nothing herein is intended to create an attorney client relationship and the response is intended to provide... more
  2. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Because your son is college-bound, an unfavorable determination here, even one just within the scope of school administrative disciplinary procedures, can be very damaging for his future. Criminal prosecution can have terrible consequences. You need legal counsel ASAP.

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended... more

Related Topics

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,744 answers this week

2,444 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,744 answers this week

2,444 attorneys answering