My son has been accused of assaulting a teacher. There is a video, but the school will not allow us to view it. Can they do that

Covington, TN |

They said he donkey kicked her. There are two students that have not been interviewed that dispute what the school says. My son did use some vulgar language when the teacher would not stop grabbing him and poking her fingers in his chest. The video is the only way to tell exactly what happened but have been told we can not see it. Is it okay for a teacher to continuously grab a student even when asked to stop and is the school allowed to withhold the video? He has a school board hearing Thursday morning.

The teacher has said she would not press charges. She also went to see a doctor that same day but stated that she thought she twisted her ankle when she ran after him. My son attended alternative school twice in Middle school but has not been to a board hearing since. He is now a HS Senior and is a dual enrollment student with a college.

I would recommend you hire an attorney immediately and not discuss facts of the case in a public forum like this. Especially things that could be considered admissions. I would recommend you use the find lawyer tab above to locate an attorney in your area. Many lawyers provide a fee consultation where you can gain an understanding of your legal rights. Good Luck.

Nothing herein is intended to create an attorney client relationship and the response is intended to provide generally a broad response to the area posed by the question. Each question is governed by unique facts and no answer provided is intended to specifically answer the question, but is a general overview of the area of law contained in the question.

Because your son is college-bound, an unfavorable determination here, even one just within the scope of school administrative disciplinary procedures, can be very damaging for his future. Criminal prosecution can have terrible consequences. You need legal counsel ASAP.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody