My son has been accused of assaulting a teacher. There is a video, but the school will not allow us to view it. Can they do that

Asked about 1 year ago - Covington, TN

They said he donkey kicked her. There are two students that have not been interviewed that dispute what the school says. My son did use some vulgar language when the teacher would not stop grabbing him and poking her fingers in his chest. The video is the only way to tell exactly what happened but have been told we can not see it. Is it okay for a teacher to continuously grab a student even when asked to stop and is the school allowed to withhold the video? He has a school board hearing Thursday morning.

The teacher has said she would not press charges. She also went to see a doctor that same day but stated that she thought she twisted her ankle when she ran after him. My son attended alternative school twice in Middle school but has not been to a board hearing since. He is now a HS Senior and is a dual enrollment student with a college.

1. Alan Daniel Hall

Answered . I would recommend you hire an attorney immediately and not discuss facts of the case in a public forum like this. Especially things that could be considered admissions. I would recommend you use the find lawyer tab above to locate an attorney in your area. Many lawyers provide a fee consultation where you can gain an understanding of your legal rights. Good Luck.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . Because your son is college-bound, an unfavorable determination here, even one just within the scope of school administrative disciplinary procedures, can be very damaging for his future. Criminal prosecution can have terrible consequences. You need legal counsel ASAP.