My son has an I-visa.......if stopped working as journalist 4 years ago, can my son still adjust his status?

Phoenix, AZ |

I'm a US citizen sponsoring my son (unmarried / over 21).
My son entered the country legally as a journalist with an I visa. He stopped working as a journalist in 2007. Can he still adjust his status? We have an approved I-130.

Would appreciate your advise.
Thank you.

Not unless his is covered under section 245i of the law.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. I agree with my colleague. Unfortunately, because he failed to maintain his status, your son is ineligible to apply for adjustment of status unless he is grandfathered under section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

3. I, too, agree.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.