Skip to main content

My son broke his arm while playing in his friend's tree house. Am I able to sue his friend's parents?

Orchard Park, NY |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

Apparently a branch supporting part of the tree house broke and my son fell out and landed on his arm. My son is 12. Do I have a case in seeking damages?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes, consult with a local personal injury lawyer. Did the parents know that the branch was weak or diseased? Who constructed the tree house and was it appropriate for the tree?

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


That definitely sounds like a case. Go get a free consultation from a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.


Lots of issues to consider such as whether the parents had notice of a dangerous condition and who built the treehouse/was it safe when initial built on the supporting branch.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


You should consult with an attorney who regularly practices personal injury matters to review your case and offer some advice. I could give you the names of a few colleagues in Western NY who may be interested in a consultation.

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.


You certainly have a case worth exploring. Best of luck and god bless.

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * * * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer