Skip to main content

My son (18) was arrested for driving with BAC of .14. What is the aproximate cost for a defense lawyer?

Strongsville, OH |

He is also on probation for a juvenile offenses, destruction of property and theft of street signs. He had a court appointed lawyer for that, which was tried in Juvenile Court in Cleveland, but this judge told him they do not appoint lawyers in this court, he must hire his own. This is Mayors Court which I believe to be traffic court, not criminal court, am I right?

Attorney Answers 6


Hello there,

Lawyers are going to vary in price according to their expertise and ability in a certain area.

There are many lawyers that specialize in intoxication crimes and are members of the National College of DUI Defense. These attorneys have to meet certain standards and continuing legal education to stay members of this prestigious group.

So there are lawyers you can get for five hundred dollars all the way up to ten thousand dollars for a good DWI lawyer.

Most of all you should be comfortable with whom you hire.

DWI's are very serious and should be treated as such.


Erick Platten


Mark as helpful


The cost will vary greatly for an OVI/DUI attorney. Much of it will depend on the attorneys level of experience, reputation, and areas of practice. The previous poster is fairly accurate in stating the wide range of attorneys fees. However, the most expensive attorney is not necessarily the best attorney. Most importantly, talk to and/or meet a few attorneys, you will find one with whom your and your son are comfortable.

If your son was arrested in the city attached to your post (Strongsville), then yes, he will appear in the Strongsville Mayor's Court. A Mayor's Court can handle traffic matters, OVI/DUI and other simple misdemeanor offenses. It is important to speak to (and if possible, hire) an attorney before your son enters a plea of "Not Guilty" (or any other plea for that matter). A plea of not guilty will send your son's case to the Berea Municipal Court. It is often more advantageous to resolve a case in a Mayor's Court, when possible.

Good luck to you and your son.

~~~~~~~~~~ Patrick Leary is a licensed attorney in Ohio. Any answers provided by Mr. Leary in the Q&A Forum are intended to be informative, but should not be considered legal advice. Furthermore, answers provided herein do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Thank you.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Asking what you would pay for a lawyer is a lot like asking what you would pay for a car. There are various objective measures that you should look for: credentials, experience, AVVO rating etc., but the best advice is to find someone who you feel comfortable with. If you hire solely on price, you probably won't wind up with the best attorney. Check out the guides on this site about how to hire a DUI attorney. Good hunting!

Mark as helpful


Sounds like you'll need an attorney for the mayor's court and the DUI as well as the probation violation in juvenile court. The judge was incorrect regarding appointed counsel. He has the right to a lawyer at all times in both criminal and juvenile prosecutions.

Mark as helpful


The cost of a lawyer will vary quite drastically, usually from several hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. You should interview several attorneys and make sure you find a competent attorney that you can afford. In addition, you should be aware that the new charge may be cause for a violation of your son's probation in Juvenile Court.

Mark as helpful


The price for an attorney can vary depending on a lot of different factors. Generally, I charge between $750 and $2000, depending on what is needed to obtain the best results. Sometimes a motion to suppress, or a trial is needed. If a person wants to work out a plea, or lower charge, then generally, the cost will be the lower end. Should you have any other questions, please contact me for a free consultation.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics