My Smart Start ignition interlock said "WARN" when I started my car, but I wasn't drinking, what do I do?

Chandler Heights, AZ |

The other day, when I blew into my ignition interlock to start my car, it came up with a "WARN" sign. My car started and I was able to go. I have Smart Start. I never drink, and my DUI was for marijuana. Shortly after, I want to say 5-10 minutes, it asked me to do a rolling test, and it said pass. Should I be worried? Am I going to jail for this obvious malfunction?

I am 19 years old by the way.

1. You are not going to jail for this. However, MVD may extend your restriction. If MVD sends you a letter be sure to request a hearing immediately. I would also contact your Smart Start provider and ask them to pull the records to see what the issue was.

Good luck,

Aaron M. Black
    Criminal & DUI Defense Attorney
    Martindale AV® Preeminent™ Lawyer
    2012 Southwest SuperLawyer Rising Star
    AVVO 10/10 Superb Lawyer

Law Office of Aaron M. Black, PLLC
    3219 East Camelback Road #573
    Phoenix, AZ 85018
    Office #: 480-729-1683
    Email: aaron@aaronblacklaw.com
    www.aaronblacklaw.com

2. The ignition interlock works on fuel cell technology. It can easily be effected by substances other than ethanol that it thinks is ethanol. The most common culprit is fructose or the sugars in fruits. In addition to Mr. Black's sugestions, I would also recomend immediately turning off the car, rinsing your mouth out thoroughly with water, waiting 5 minutes and restarting the car. The purpose is to create a record in case the interlock company reports you to MVD, you will then be able to show that minutes later you had a .000 BrAc (Breath Alcohol Content).

Craig J. Rosenstein
    ROSENSTEIN LAW GROUP, PLLC
    8010 E. McDowell Rd. | Suite 111 | Scottsdale, AZ 85257
    tel: 480.248.7666 | fax: 480.946.0681
    Craig@RosensteinLawGroup.com | www.Scottsdale-DUILawyer.com