My small business is growing, should I get a CPA, or a tax lawyer?

Asked over 2 years ago - Baton Rouge, LA

My small business is growing into a mid-size business. The question now is should I hire a CPA or a tax lawyer. I am looking to maximize the tax codes in my favor, as well as make sound investment planning for my future. While I will be making calls next week to set up interviews, what should I look for in my CPA or tax lawyer, that many people don't look for?

Any information will be of great help to ask. I want to make sure I hire the very best to handle my business needs, and wants.

Thanking you for your time, respectfully submitted

1. Brian Coleman Kelly

Answered . If you can handle the forms by yourself. Get a tax lawyer.

2. James P. Frederick

Answered . There is value in both roles and you may need either or both for different reasons. Why not find a tax lawyer that is also a CPA? You can decide for yourself which position helps you more, but you would have the best of both worlds.

James Frederick

3. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

Answered . If you have any sort of possibly questionable/shady thing going on, hire a tax attorney.

Most taxpayers don't realize that when a tax attorney files a tax return on a matter that the attorney-client privilege is generally "lost" as to that matter.

If your problem is management control, loss control, book keeping, computer records entry and generation, you can hire a book keeping service or a CPA with such service.

YOU need to remain IN CONTROL. Attorney gives advice and evaluation, but does not file. What you say remains privileged. Get others to generate your numbers.

File your own taxes if you can, or get a CPA. Remember these others (book keeper, CPA, EA) are generally not privileged (there is a weak federal privilege but its very thin)

The attorney is not privileged if you have him file returns on those matters.

Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

Curt Harrington
    (562) 594-9784
    http://patentax.com/curt/index.html